Skip those complicated recipes. This easy, Spanish chicken recipe features chicken legs braised with a few simple ingredients like tomato and citrus so you can enjoy the flavors of Spain without a ton of effort. Serve with a simple saffron rice and the optional chocolate picada sauce for the ultimate Spanish meal. Makes 4 servings.
For the past few months, I’ve been attempting to get my kids excited about trying different types of food. We’ve been trying out food from new countries – sort of playing off our favorite kids show Let’s Go Luna – and basically making it a themed meal sort of thing.
So far we’ve done Russia, Spain, France and Turkey, and they have all been major misses for my daughter who gets really excited about it all, but then changes her mind when we sit down to eat. But, at least we’re trying and she’s having fun making new things.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Spanish chicken recipe
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large non-stick skillet
- Kitchen tongs
- Food processor (optional, for picada)
Spanish chicken with rice, but easier.
We made Spanish chicken recipe during Spain week. It’s a variation of my super basic, baked chicken legs recipe. I’ve added a few Spanish flavors, but it’s the same technique.
Then I topped it off with a chocolate picada sauce, inspired by one I found in this cookbook. The results are nothing short of amazing, and they work really well with the citrus-tomato flavor of the chicken.
But, if you’re short on time, or you’re just not into it, feel free to skip it. I promise you’ll still love the chicken.
FAQ’s and tips for making this recipe
Picada sauce is a think pesto-like sauce that is both creamy as well as bursting with flavor. It’s a Catalan-style sauce that’s dense and made of nuts, garlic, olive oil and seasonings as a base. Usually added towards the end of a recipe, it really helps to deliver the flavor and give that much-needed finishing touch to the plate.
Yes, you can freeze it. I recommend portioning it out into zipper topped bags and laying them flat to freeze so that they take up less space in the freezer and thaw more quickly. Then to use, simply reheat and stir until warmed through and it’s thickened back up. It may be aslightly watery from the stay in the freezer.
If you don’t have chicken legs, you can easily use a cut up chicken, split chicken breast, or even chicken thighs, without really having to change the recipe time. If you use boneless chicken, the recipe will cook much faster.
More chicken recipes:
- Baked chicken wings
- Baked honey mustard chicken thighs
- Baked chicken legs
- Peanut chicken wraps
- Baked chicken parmesan
- Coconut milk chicken
Easy dinner recipes you’ll love!
- BBQ pork banh mi
- Kung pao chicken
- Instant Pot Mississippi pot roast
- Baked turkey meatballs
- Sausage and peppers pasta
Skip those complicated recipes. This easy, Spanish chicken recipe features chicken legs braised with a few simple ingredients like tomato and citrus so you can enjoy the flavors of Spain without a ton of effort. Serve with a simple saffron rice and the optional chocolate picada sauce for the ultimate Spanish meal.
For the Spanish chicken:
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 ounces sherry
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
For the picada (optional):
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of: saffron threads, ground cloves, anise seeds
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). On the stove, heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high.
- Season chicken legs liberally with coarse salt and black pepper. Sear the chicken on both sides, until the skin is golden in color and easily removes from the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan with the sherry. Deglaze the pan and sauté the onions in the liquid until it evaporates.
- Next, add the tomatoes, orange zest and herbs. Stir to combine, and return the chicken to the pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until the chicken has reached and internal temperature of 165˚F.
Nutrition information is calculated for the chicken only (without the optional picada sauce).
Keywords: dairy free, paleo, easy, healthy, chicken
Last Updated on May 5, 2020 by Melissa Belanger