This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.
Why I love this Italian sausage pasta recipe
This morning I found this article (via Joy the Baker) from Thought Catalog called I’m Sick of Summer. It completely sums up how I feel about summer, especially since we’re in the middle of a heatwave right now.
Except, I don’t have to deal with the monotony of year-round job and I do have the excitement of a new hockey season each fall to remind me that something new is coming. But really, this is the reason I look forward to fall every year.
This recipe is totally unrelated to being sick of summer. I have no interesting story to tell you about pasta with Italian sausage and broccoli, other than saying that I love this meal.
I used to make it all the time, but somehow I forgot all about it. It’s been forever, but it’s just as delicious as I remember it.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make pasta with Italian sausage and broccoli
My trick for adding fresh broccoli to any pasta dish – instead of cooking the broccoli separately, add it to the pot about 4-5 minutes before the pasta is supposed to be done (check the package instructions). Strain the pasta and the broccoli together, and you’ll have less dishes to do.
Side note: Since I’m living in wonderful France, I haven’t been able to find any real Italian sausages so I’ve been buying Toulouse sausages and adding my own seasonings to make them taste like Italian ones.
I used spices from this recipe for Italian Sausage Seasoning Blend and just put in a pinch of this and a little of that until it looked seasoned enough – I also added a bit of dried basil. Luckily, if you can buy Italian sausage (spicy or sweet) at your grocery store then you can ignore everything you just read.
Tips for making this pasta with Italian sausage
This recipe would be great with:
More pasta recipes you’ll love:Print
Italian Sausage Pasta with Broccoli
This easy recipe for pasta with Italian sausage and broccoli is flavorful and dairy-free. It’s ready in 30 minutes which makes it great for weeknight dinners! Try it with bow tie pasta or penne.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 pound Italian sausage meat, casings removed, if needed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound package farfalle pasta
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the farfalle according to package directions, adding the broccoli to the pot 4 minutes before straining.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet to medium-high. Add the sausage meat and brown, breaking it into small pieces. Continue cooking, stirring as needed until the sausage is golden brown and caramelized.
- Add olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat and continue cooking until the pasta is ready.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before straining the pasta and broccoli.
- Add broccoli and farfalle to the skillet – adding 1/4 cup of pasta water at a time until the sauce has reached the right consistency. Stir in the nutritional yeast before serving.
Keywords: easy, dairy free, 5 ingredient
Recipe inspired by Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes.
Last Updated on November 23, 2021 by Melissa Belanger