This restaurant-inspired Asian chicken wrap recipe is filled with vegetables, protein and drenched with a slightly spicy, creamy peanut sauce. Makes 6 chicken wraps.
Why I love these Asian chicken wraps
A few years ago, I was working at this restaurant in Green Bay and they added these amazing Asian chicken wraps to their menu. They had a delicious peanut-y sauce that was just spicy enough to burn a little. And they’re loaded with cilantro, which means I automatically love them.
I ate them everyday for lunch when I worked and I would sometimes get one to go before I left at night. It turns out that they don’t even have it on their menu anymore anyway, but, thankfully, they’re super easy to make at home so I can have them whenever I want now.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this chicken wrap recipe:
How to make Asian chicken wraps with peanut sauce
Make the peanut sauce.
This step is optional. I’ve had fantastic results with store bought peanut sauce, so I would recommend this just as much as I would a homemade sauce. If you want it, my go-to peanut sauce is listed in the recipe card below.
Cook the chicken breast.
Cook the chicken however you want. You can bake it, sauté it, grill it, or ever buy cooked chicken from the store. Do whatever makes you happy.
I like to pound my chicken breast to about 1″ inch thickness and season them with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Then I cook them in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil.
Mix the coleslaw.
Mix the shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro and peanut in a large bowl. Mix it with the peanut sauce (add 2 – 3 tablespoons of water if you’re using store bought sauce, just to thin in a bit).
Assemble your wraps.
Fill each tortilla with equal amounts of chicken and coleslaw mixture. Fold in sides and roll to create a wrap, and cut in half before serving. If you need to, secure the wraps with toothpicks to keep them together.
Tips for making chicken wraps with peanut sauce:
- If you want to prepare this chicken wrap recipe ahead of time, hold of on assembling until ready to serve to keep the tortillas from getting soggy.
- To make this recipe gluten free, swap tamari sauce for the soy sauce and use gluten free tortilla warps.
- If you don’t like cilantro, you can easily leave it out or replace with fresh chives or green onion.
These Asian chicken wraps with peanut sauce are an easy and healthy lunch. Tortillas filled with chicken, crunch coleslaw and peanuts with a spicy, tangy peanut sauce. #chicken #lunch
For the chicken wraps:
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or sliced
- 6 large tortillas
For the peanut sauce:*
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut sauce ingredients.
- In another bowl, add the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and peanuts. Pour the sauce over the mixture and stir. Let this sit while you prepare the tortillas and chicken.
- Heat up the tortillas for about 10 seconds in the microwave to make them easier to work with.
- Divide the chicken and coleslaw between each tortilla
- Roll tightly, securing with toothpicks if necessary.
Store bought peanut sauce may also be used.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: dairy free, Thai, easy, lunch
Recipe inspired by Once Upon A Chef.
Last Updated on