Loaded with black beans, tomatoes and corn, this one pot, dairy free Mexican quinoa recipe comes together in just over 30 minutes. It’s makes an awesome side dish for any meal or a filling, vegan main dish that’s perfect for week day lunches. Makes 8 servings.
Why I love this Mexican quinoa recipe
Quinoa is something that I’m not too familiar with. I had cooked it a few times before making this quinoa recipe, and I was pretty disappointed in it. I don’t think I even rinsed it properly. Then I found a box of pre-rinsed quinoa at the grocery store, and I was so excited.
I knew it would be a game changer, and it was. It was so simple – as easy to prepare as rice – but much more nutritional. (Of course, you can still make this with quinoa that you rinse yourself.)
Pair that with some Mexican mix-ins and you have a healthy, meatless meal. Or you can serve this as a side dish with your favorite fajitas recipe.
How to make Mexican quinoa:
This quinoa recipe is super easy. After sautéing some minced garlic a tablespoon olive oil, you add the rest of the ingredients the pot and bring it to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let it simmer until the quinoa is cooked.
It should take about 25 minutes. When it’s finished cooking, stir in some fresh cilantro – if you want – and you’re ready to serve.
So what makes this Mexican quinoa dairy free?
The original recipe from this post suggested topping your quinoa with sour cream and cheese, which is obviously no good for a dairy free lifestyle, but luckily this was easily remedied. The actual recipe didn’t need any changing, and it is just as good without those milk-based toppings.
Feel free to top it with guacamole, your favorite aioli, or vegan cheese for an extra pop of flavor. I topped mine with a cilantro lime aioli, and it was the most amazing thing I’ve ever tasted. Recipe coming soon, I promise.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Mexican quinoa:
How to make Mexican quinoa
Sauté the garlic.
Simmer the rest.
Garnish and serve.
More sides and salads you’ll love:
- Roasted acorn squash salad
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Summer farro salad
- Roasted vegetable pasta salad
- Instant pot baked beans
This Mexican quinoa recipe is made with corn, black beans and diced tomatoes with chilies. It’s a great side dish or an healthy, vegan dinner idea.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked, pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15.5-ounce can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish.
- In large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients (minus the cilantro) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro just before serving.
Keywords: quinoa, one pot, Mexican, dairy free, vegan
Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Melissa Belanger