Extra Fluffy Dairy Free Pancakes
These dairy free pancakes are extra fluffy and made from scratch. They can be made with any dairy free milk you choose. You won’t even be able to tell that there’s no butter or milk.
You’ll never buy pancake mix again.
Six years ago, before we ever moved to France, I had never made pancakes for myself. Not once. I never even considered it. It was something I could get at any restaurant that served breakfast, and I never really liked breakfast that much.
But, somehow, when you can’t have something, you want it even more. So of course, when we were faced with spending several euros for the smallest box of sub-par pancake mix or making some from scratch, I figured it out.
More dairy free breakfast ideas: no milk French toast / asparagus quiche / homemade waffles / tater tot breakfast casserole
Can you make pancakes without milk?
I slightly adapted this recipe – using oil because I didn’t like melting butter, and eventually switching to dairy free milk – and we never looked back. Why would we when it literally takes 2 extra minutes to measure out ingredients instead of paying for pricey pancake mix.
Maybe pancake mix isn’t that pricey, but it’s still something I don’t need to spend money on. Plus, I almost always have all of these ingredients in my pantry.
So anytime we want pancakes, I whip up a batch of this batter, and Marc mans the griddle. He’s really strangely good at making pancakes. I know I’ve told you that before.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”IJR4TU63″ upload-date=”2018-11-02T17:27:44.000Z” name=”Extra Fluffy Dairy Free Pancakes” description=”Extra Fluffy Dairy Free Pancakes”]
How do you make dairy free pancakes?
We’ve used all different kinds of milk in the recipe – coconut milk (from the refrigerated section, not the can), almond milk, lactose free milk and regular milk – and it turns out great every time.
They’re the fluffiest with traditional milk, but they are still so fluffy and good no matter what we use. Use whatever you have on hand, and I promise it will still work. If you use flavored or sweetened nut milks, adjust the recipe accordingly.
Tips for making dairy free pancakes:
- Don’t skip the baking powder. I know the recipe seems like an excessive amount, but if you want them to be fluffy, especially without dairy, you need it.
- Use canola oil or other vegetable oils. This is my go-to substitute for melted butter because I always have it on hand.
- Keep the eggs. I know these pancakes could easily be made vegan, but the eggs do wonders for the texture of these pancakes.
- Keep your cooked pancakes warm in the oven (about 200˚F) while you’re making the rest.
More pancake recipes you’ll love:
More dairy free breakfast recipes:
- Scrambled eggs without milk
- Cinnamon apple bread
- Chocolate chip waffles
- Asparagus quiche
- Zucchini muffins
Extra Fluffy Dairy Free Pancakes
This extra fluffy, dairy free pancakes recipe is so easy to make with egg and almond milk. It can easily be made gluten free and vegan with a few simple swaps.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk*
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add milk, canola oil, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat a non-stick griddle or large skillet to medium heat. (Coat pan with butter or oil if not using non-stick).
- Pour about ⅓ cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Allow it to cook until bubbles are visible throughout the pancake before flipping.
- Repeat until all batter has been used.
To keep cooked pancakes warm while the rest cook, place them in an oven set to 150˚F – 200˚F or on a plate tented with foil.
*If you’re using coconut milk, use the kind from the refrigerated section because canned coconut milk is a little too thick.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 185.4 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.6 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: dairy free, pancakes, breakfast, sweet
Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Melissa Belanger
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.