Why I love this vegan chickpea salad recipe
This easy, corn and garbanzo bean salad recipe is perfect for a healthy summer lunch – filled with cucumber, tomatoes and corn, with a cilantro lime dressing. It’s a flavorful vegan meal, but it’s also great for a healthy dish to pass at barbecues and summer gatherings.
For the past several days it’s been 90 plus degrees here in Angers (the city where we live in France) and the last thing I want to do is create extra heat in our non-air-conditioned apartment.
Normally the weather is pretty mild here – we even had a few days of snow last winter – but these last few days have been crazy-hot. Therefore, I’ve been on a mission to find recipes and ideas for cold salads or anything else that doesn’t need to be cooked.
This summer garbanzo bean salad definitely beats the heat, and it has one of my favorite flavor combinations – cilantro and lime.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make this chickpea salad:
Make your dressing. In a medium bowl (or in a large glass measuring cup), whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Chop your ingredients & rinse your chickpeas. I like to make sure I get off all the excess aquafaba, and I usually leave my chickpeas in the strainer until I’m ready to add them to the salad.
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl . I like to salt my cucumber to prevent excess water in my salad, but if you’re in a rush or don’t feel like it, that’s completely okay.
FAQS and tips for making a garbanzo bean salad
Chickpeas are a great in salads, curry dishes, and pasta. They can also be roasted in the oven for a crunch snack or made into hummus for a creamy dip!
This salad should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, but always use your best judgment.
Yes, canned chickpeas are already cooked and preserved in water. Be sure to drain the liquid (or save it as an egg white substitute) and rinse before eating.
Yes. They are the same thing, just a different name based on different languages. They can also be referred to as chi chi beans.
More chickpea recipes:
- Mediterranean chickpea salad
- Curry chickpea salad
- Couscous & chickpea tabbouleh
- Potato and chickpea curry
- Roasted chickpeas
More dairy free salad recipes:
- Black eyed pea salad
- Kale caesar salad with chicken
- Strawberry poppyseed salad
- Kale and Brussels sprouts salad
- Mexican street corn salad
- Berry watermelon salad
This easy garbanzo bean salad is an awesome vegan recipe that’s perfect for a healthy summer lunch – filled with cucumber, tomatoes and corn, with a cilantro lime dressing.
For the garbanzo bean salad:
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, quartered (about 1 pound)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
For the cilantro lime dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a big bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and stir until everything is mixed well.
- Refrigerate until serving or at least for a half an hour to let the flavors blend.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan, garbanzo beans, chickpeas, salad, summer
Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Melissa Belanger