With just a few ingredients, these butter-less lemon butter cookies are full of flavor and make a perfectly sweet dairy free treat.
Update: I’ve updated this lemon butter cookie recipe to make it dairy free (by swapping the butter for some Crisco butter-flavor shortening sticks. Feel free to use the butter that was originally called for if you don’t need to make them dairy free.
Now that our oven is working again, I’m ready for some Christmas baking. Last week, I made a batch of thumbprint cookies for our little Christmas party, and this week I thought I would try my hand a new, but very similar cookie. I took a basic thumbprint cookie recipe, tweaked it a little and added some lemon juice and zest to make a simple and buttery cookies.
The butter really shines through in these cookies, and the lemon plays the role of sidekick – making a perfect pair. The cookies aren’t overly sweet, but the powdered sugar coating is up to you. Sprinkle them with as much as you want to suit your taste. Personally, I love the texture of the dry powdered sugar against the buttery cookie so I do a few coatings. Don’t worry about adding extra. I won’t tell anyone…
Lemon Butter Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 30 cookies
- 1 cup butter or vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gradually mix in the flour until incorporated.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper .
- Using the tines of a fork, cross marks in the cookies to slightly flatten them (as pictured).
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until cookies are set on top and slightly golden on bottom.
- Transfer to cooling rack and immediately dust with powdered sugar (sugar will melt into cookies from the remaining heat).
- Once completely cool, dust cookies again with powdered sugar.
*Optional: Add 1 teaspoon lemon extract for a little extra lemon flavor.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you’re looking for a few more Christmas cookie ideas, check out some of these recipes: