One of your favorite comfort foods has gotten a healthy makeover. This easy chicken pot pie with biscuits made with cooked or rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies in a creamy, dairy free sauce, then topped with homemade biscuits. Makes 6 – 8 servings.
Why I love this easy chicken pot pie
Chicken pot pie has always been one of my favorite comfort foods, and I’ve been making some version of it since I started cooking. It started with a nice condensed soup concoction that was pretty good, but over time (and after cutting dairy from our lives) I started making it from scratch with almond milk and chicken broth gravy that became my new standard.
It filled many store-bought pie crusts and made delicious dinners that my whole family enjoyed, but after having so much success with my favorite dairy free biscuits, I decided it was time to try a chicken pot pie with biscuits on top.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Cast iron skillet , Dutch oven or large baking dish
How to make easy chicken pot pie with biscuits
Make the filling.
Make the biscuits.
Bake the pot pie.
FAQ’s and tips for making chicken pot pie with biscuits
Chicken pot pies are such a complete meal packed with a creamy gravy sauce, veggies and meat it can be hard to think of anything to serve with it. Consider a simple side salad or a cooked vegetable that isn’t already inside the pie.
If you don’t have chicken broth handy you can use any other stock/broth you may have on hand like vegetable or even beef. If you slack those as well you can use water and just add in more seasonings or chicken bullion to help make the dish not feel like it’s lacking on flavor.
More chicken recipes
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Braised Chicken Legs
- Ground Chicken Tacos
- Asian Chicken Wraps
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
Dairy free dinner recipes
- Ham Fried Rice
- Grilled Pork Ribs with Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
- Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- Chamoy Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Mango Salsa
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
Homemade, comfort food has gotten a healthy makeover. This easy chicken pot pie with biscuits is made with cooked or rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies in a creamy, dairy free sauce, then topped with 4 ingredient biscuits. Make it in a cast iron skillet, Dutch oven or casserole dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour–1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast (rotisserie)
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- In a large bowl, stir the biscuit ingredients together until a dough forms. Set aside.
- Heat a large, oven-proof skillet to medium-high. Add olive oil and let it heat. Add shallots and sauté, stirring as needed, until softened – about 3 minutes. Add vegetables and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated. Cook until the flour dissolves.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and almond milk. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, stirring as needed to prevent clumping and burning. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Scoop biscuits dough on top of the pot pie. Brush melted oil or melted butter (optional).
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are fully cooked. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Keywords: dairy free, easy, one pot
Last Updated on September 28, 2020 by Melissa Belanger