Quinoa is something that I’m not too familiar with. I had cooked it a few times before making this recipe and I was pretty disappointed in it. I don’t think I even rinsed it properly. Then I found a box of pre-rinsed quinoa at the grocery store, and I was so excited. I knew it would be a game changer, and it was. It was so simple – as easy to prepare as rice – but much more nutritional. (Of course, you can still make this with quinoa that you rinse yourself.)
Pair that with some Mexican mix-ins and you have a healthy, meatless meal. Or you can serve this as a side dish with your favorite fajitas recipe.
Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and some extra cilantro for an pop of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked, pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15.5-ounce can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Low-fat sour cream
- In large saucepan, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant - about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients (minus the cilantro and the toppings) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro just before serving.
- Serve with toppings.
Recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats.