I mentioned last week, that I’ve been trying to eat healthy lately. So far it’s going great, and I feel much better when I am. But let’s be serious, you really can’t go your whole life without a special treat every now and then. So I thought I would give salted caramel a try. It’s obviously a major trend right now, and has been for some time – obviously for good reason. It’s ooey-gooey and delicious, and perfectly salty.
Homemade salted caramel sauce is surprisingly easy to make. You literally just melt the sugar and add some butter, cream and salt. Put it over ice cream or dip some apples in it – or just eat it off the spoon. You can’t go wrong with this stuff.
Stay tuned because I’m using this sauce in another recipe later this week, and it’s going to be awesome. But for now, go to the kitchen and whip yourself up some of this salted caramel sauce.
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks) – cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- In a large saucepan, heat sugar over medium heat.
- Allow the sugar to melt completely while stirring frequently with a wire whisk – sugar will start to clump before melting and turning brown in color.
- Once sugar is completely melted, add butter and whisk carefully until incorporated.
- Remove from heat and add cream and salt.
- Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Allow to caramel sauce to cool to room temperature.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on