This simple, lentil bolognese is hearty, comforting and full of flavor – everything a pasta sauce should be. This easy recipe can be made in one pot on the stove or in a crockpot. Serve it over spaghetti – or even spaghetti squash for a healthy alternative.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- 3 celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 8 ounces dried lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high.
- Add onion, celery, carrots with a pinch of salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the vegetables have softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover the skillet. Bring to liquid to a strong simmer and allow the lentils to cook until softened, about 30 minutes.
- If needed, add additional water to thin sauce and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper before serving.
Slow cooker instructions:
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker, mix together until combined.
- Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours, or until lentils have softened and sauce is thick.
- Add water to thin out sauce if necessary, and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan, gluten free, vegetarain, easy, pasta sauce, pasta, lentils