This pistachio cake recipe is naturally colored green thanks to the additional of matcha green tea, and it’s topped with a rich and silky white chocolate frosting.
For the pistachio cake:
- 1 cup shelled pistachios (3/4 cup flour), ground into a meal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (or vegetable shortening)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
For the white chocolate frosting:
- 7 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or vegan butter
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease and flour 2 8-inch baking pans.
- Grind pistachios in a food processor or food mill until they become a fine meal similar to almond flour.
- In a mixing bowl , combine ground pistachios, flour, baking powder, matcha, and salt. Whisk until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat the vegan butter, vegetable shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is incorporated.
- Mix in the milk, yogurt, vanilla extract and almond extract until combined.
- About 1/2 cup at a time, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beating until combined. Continue until everything is mixed together, scraping the sides as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cakes to cool to room temperature before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Add white chocolate chips to a small mixing bowl . Microwave for 2 30-second intervals, stirring between to help the chocolate melt. If needed, continue to heat for 10 second intervals, until the chocolate is melted after stirring.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat the butter or shortening with salt, vanilla extract and almond milk. Add melted chocolate and about 1 cup of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Then, add about 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Frost cake as desired.
Keywords: dairy free, green, pistachio, matcha, cake, layer cake, white chocolate