Arugula Zucchini Salad
Bursting with fresh summer flavor, this arugula zucchini salad features thinly sliced zucchini ribbons, peppery arugula and toasted pine nuts, topped with a basil vinaigrette and a sprinkle of dairy free feta. This refreshing vegan salad is super easy to make and it’s beautiful, too.
Why you’ll love this zucchini salad
- If you’re looking for something new to do with your summer zucchini haul, you have to try this recipe.
- This is a great make ahead salad. You can easily make the dressing, marinate the zucchini and toast the pine nuts in advance. The rest gets tossed together just before serving.
- Customize it with your favorite dairy free or traditional cheese, or serve the cheese on the side so guests can choose their own.
How to make zucchini salad
Make the dressing. Toss the dressing ingredients into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. If you don’t have one, you can also finely chop the basil and then whisk it into the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl.
Slice the zucchini. Thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise into ribbons skipping the very center where the seeds are. I like to use a vegetable peeler to do this, but you could use a mandolin or a chef’s knife. Just make sure your zucchini slices are thin enough that they can easily bend and fold.
Marinate the zucchini. Place your zucchini in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of coarse salt. Gently toss the zucchini to coat them, using kitchen tongs or even your hands. Set aside and let the zucchini rest for about 10 minutes.
Toss the salad. If a lot of liquid has accumulated after the 10 minutes, drain it or transfer the zucchini without the liquid to a separate bowl to assemble the salad.
Add the arugula and pine nuts, and toss everything with about 1/4 cup of basil vinaigrette. If you prefer more, dressing go ahead and add it. Sprinkle feta onto the salad before serving.
frequently asked questions: Zucchini salad
This zucchini and arugula salad will go great with any summer meal. Pair it with some grilled chicken for a healthy dinner or serve this as a side for a backyard barbecue.
You can definitely prepare this salad ahead of time, but hold the toppings and the dressing. Feel free to slice the zucchini and place it in a serving bowl with the arugula, cover and store in the fridge.
Separately, prepare the dressing and store in an airtight container (such as a mason jar) in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Then, dress the salad and garnish just a few minutes before serving.
Once you have the zucchini salad dressed it will only last about a day.
More zucchini recipes you will love
More dairy free salads you should try
- Easy broccoli salad
- Italian chopped salad
- Easy caesar salad dressing
- Tropical salad with mango dressing
Bursting with fresh summer flavor, this arugula zucchini salad features thinly sliced zucchini ribbons, peppery arugula and toasted pine nuts, topped with a basil vinaigrette and a sprinkle of [dairy free] feta. This refreshing vegan salad is super easy to make and it’s beautiful, too.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the zucchini salad:
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 ounces arugula
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup basil vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup dairy free feta crumbles
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the vinaigrette ingredients into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise into ribbons. Discard the centers if there are a lot of seeds.
- Place your zucchini in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and coarse salt. Gently toss the zucchini to coat them and allow let the zucchini rest for about 10 minutes.
If liquid has accumulated after the 10 minutes, drain it or transfer the zucchini without the liquid to a separate bowl to assemble the salad.
Add the arugula and pine nuts to the zucchini, and toss with 1/4 cup of basil vinaigrette.
Sprinkle feta onto the salad before serving.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Mixing
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 636.1 mg
- Fat: 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 4.2 mg
Keywords: zucchini salad, arugula salad, rocket salad, rocca salad, dairy free zucchini salad, basil dressing, basil vinaigrette, zucchini and arugula salad, zucchini arugula salad
Last Updated on June 3, 2022 by Melissa Belanger
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.
Before leaving a comment or rating, ask yourself: