This easy, zucchini risotto recipe has no cheese and is naturally gluten free (used GF broth). It’s a great summer side dish. Serve it with grilled chicken or shrimp for a healthy dinner, or have it on its own for a delicious vegan meal.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 small zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (or 2–3 tablespoons vegan parmesan)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until translucent and add rice, allowing it to absorb any remaining oil.
- Pour the white wine into the pan and allow it to absorb.
- Add broth – a 1/2 cup at a time – allowing each addition be fully absorbed before adding the next, stirring frequently.
- Once broth is incorporated, stir in shredded zucchini. Allow any liquids from the zucchini to absorb into the rice.
- Stir in nutritional yeast and stir to incorporate.
- Before serving, season with salt & pepper, to taste.
*To make the original dairy-based version of this recipe, use 2 – 3 tablespoons grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan, gluten free, egg free, vegetable, vegetarian, rice, risotto, zucchini