- 1 16-ounce package whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage meat (or sausage removed from casings)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup prepared pasta sauce (I used Barilla)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil to medium high heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until brown, breaking the meat up as it cooks. When sausage is no longer pink, add minced garlic. Continue to cook the sausage until a golden brown color has developed, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, pasta sauce, basil and salt. Reduce heat to medium and simmer sauce until the pasta is ready.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Add parsley and stir to combine.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg