You don’t need cheese or milk to make creamy scalloped potatoes. These vegan scalloped potatoes are baked in a creamy, garlicky sauce until tender. They make a perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or 2 tablespoons cornstarch (GF)
- 2 cups cashew or almond milk
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth*
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high. Melt dairy free butter, and add minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour until you have a smooth roux. Slowly whisk in milks, broth and nutritional yeast until smooth. Let sauce simmer until it has reached a thick consistency, and can easily coat the back of a spoon.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes in a 9×13 baking dish, and cover with half of the sauce. Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for 25 – 30 minutes, or until potatoes have softened.
- Allow the scalloped potatoes to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: scalloped potatoes, dairy free, vegan, potatoes, Thanksgiving