Why I love vegan cauliflower soup
No matter how much I love a creamy, decadent soup – like my vegan broccoli cheddar soup – I almost always feel more satisfied after a bowl of healthy, nourishing soup.
This soup is made with simple ingredients, and the cauliflower creates the creamy texture without any heavy cream substitutes. I used a cup of unsweetened almond milk (you can use whatever dairy free milk you prefer), but that doesn’t add much in the way of fat. It’s finished with a little bit of seasoning to mimic a cheesy flavor, but it’s super subtle and really accentuates the natural taste of the cauliflower.
If you like the flavor of this cauliflower soup, you’ll probably love my cauliflower alfredo sauce, too.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make vegan cauliflower cheese soup
Then, add the cauliflower and sauté until they start to soften. This should take about 5 minutes or so. Stir as needed to prevent burning.
Simmer the cauliflower. Add the vegetable broth and dairy free milk to the pot, and allow it to come to a boil. The reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
Blend until creamy. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir to combined. Then use an immersion blender (or a high speed blender) to puree the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper before serving and garnish with fresh herbs and grated nutmeg.
FAQs and tips for making vegan cauliflower soup
You could add a little more salt and pepper to your taste, or even a bit more nutritional yeast if you would like it to be a bit cheesier.
If your soup turns out a little thin, you could add a cornstarch slurry to thicken it. You would simply add 1 tbsp of cornstarch to 1 tbsp of water and mix well before adding it to your soup. Simmer for a little while until it is thickened to your liking.
You will be able to store your soup in an air tight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. This soup is great reheated and makes a simple but delicious lunch!
More deliciously creamy soups you should try
- Potage aux legumes (creamy vegetable soup)
- Pumpkin beer cheese soup
- Vegan cream of mushroom soup
- Creamy asparagus soup
Other great vegan recipes you will lovePrint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds cauliflower (1 large head cauliflower)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil to medium-high in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add onions and garlic, with a pinch of salt, and sauté until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir as needed to prevent burning.
- Add cauliflower and continue to sauté for about 2 more minutes, stirring as needed.
- Pour in vegetable stock and almond milk, and bring the pot to a boil.
- Add nutritional yeast, ground mustard, lemon juice and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 79
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 626.8 mg
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cauliflower soup, cauliflower cheese soup, creamy cauliflower soup
Published: January 17, 2022. Updated: January 17, 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.