This Italian sausage and kale soup is a healthier take on Olive Garden’s classic creamy soup – zuppa toscana. This easy recipe is dairy free, gluten free and almost paleo. Make it with spicy sausage or even substitute turkey sausage if you want. #dairyfree
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cubed
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup almond cooking milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannelini beans
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- If necessary, remove sausage from its casing.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or stockpot to medium. Add sausage and cooking, breaking into pieces as you go, until no longer pink – about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes
- Increase heat to high, and add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Reduce heat to medium, add kale and white beans. Simmer until kale is tender – about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk almond cooking milk and cornstarch together. Stir into soup and let soup continue cooking until it has thickened – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt & pepper to taste.
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, healthy, easy, winter