These turkey sloppy joes are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or a big lunch to feed the family. Featuring a classic sweet sauce, they’re made a little healthier with lean ground turkey and veggies like green peppers, carrots, and onions so you can check vegetables off your list and go back for seconds!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, carrot, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, Dijon custard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and salt. Add water and stir until evenly mixed.
- Simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.