Celebrate summer with this turkey sausage pesto pasta tossed with fresh asparagus and grape tomatoes. It’s a light, refreshing dish that pairs great with a rosé wine.
Last week, we had our friends, Sarah and Phil over for dinner to thank them for mowing our lawn and keeping an eye on our house while we were in Canada. It was also an excuse to finally hang out together since we’ve all been so busy lately. Sarah and Phil just got married last month. We left for two weeks right after, and when we got home, they were out of town for the Fourth. That makes it a month since we last spent time together. Crazy, considering we live across the street from each other.
I wanted to make something fresh and easy because I didn’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen or making heat inside the house. We really need to start grilling because it gets insanely hot when you don’t have AC. I was originally thinking of making my farfalle with Italian sausage and broccoli, but I knew that our guests weren’t the hugest broccoli fans. So I swapped the vegetables and used turkey Italian sausage to make it lighter. The pesto was just an afterthought since we had some in fridge we needed to use up.
I made a simple salad and cut up a fresh baguette to round out the meal. And luckily, I had some Casal Garcia wine to pair with the turkey sausage pesto pasta. The rosé was a perfect choice for pairing with this summery pasta. It was so refreshing.
After dinner we went outside and watched Ellie play in her Elmo sprinkler and tried another bottle of Casal Garcia – the sweet white – which was crisp and sweet. It was great with the banana bread Sarah made for dessert.
Love asparagus as much as I do? Try these recipes:
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 1 1/4 pounds Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut to 1-inch pieces
- Salt & pepper
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto, store-bought or homemade
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces, until cooked through.
- Add asparagus pieces and season lightly with salt & pepper, sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and continue cooking until tomato skins have wrinkled slightly. If needed, reduce heat to low and keep warm until pasta is cooked.
- Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Add pesto and 1/2 cup of pasta water to thin.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet. Stir to evenly coat pasta with pesto. Add more pasta if needed to thin sauce.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
This post was sponosored by Casal Garcia wines via Honest Cooking. As always, all thoughts, opinions and recipes are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies and brands that make it possible for me to continue creating recipes like this one.
Last Updated on