Skip that heavy, creamy sauce. This tomato artichoke pasta recipe is a great new way to enjoy artichoke hearts. The savory sauce is loaded with chopped artichoke hearts and crispy pancetta, and seasoned with basil for a unique pasta dish that’s sure to satisfy your artichoke craving. If you can’t find pancetta, feel free to swap it for bacon or prosciutto.
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water (reserving 1/2 cup pasta water for sauce).
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil to medium-high heat.
- Add pancetta and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes – cooking for 1 minute more.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, artichokes, chicken broth, basil and salt & pepper.
- Cover pot and simmer sauce on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer until sauce thickens.
- Toss pasta with sauce, adding pasta water as needed.
Keywords: dairy free, easy, pasta, artichoke, pancetta, pork