Why I love tater tot breakfast casserole
About a month ago now, some of my girlfriends were in town for a concert, and even though the rest of us didn’t have tickets, we all decided to make a big night of it and went for dinner together. In the morning, I invited everyone over for a nice little brunch at home.
I saw quite a few breakfast casserole recipes out there, but I wanted to make one that was a little lower in calories, so I used reduced-fat breakfast sausage, low-fat milk and no cheese. It’s still not the healthiest choice in the world, but it’s a lighter version, so I’m happy about it.
I even made a second casserole using lactose-free milk so that Marc could have something to eat, too, since he was home with Ellie.
The breakfast casserole turned out amazing. The eggs and tater tots are extra fluffy and the flavor from all the mix-ins really work. It’s like my favorite omelet/breakfast scramble in make-ahead breakfast casserole form.
How to make tater tot breakfast casserole
Combine the mix-ins. Stir together the cooked sausage, ham, bell pepper, green onion and tater tots. You can do this directly in the baking dish you will use.
Whisk the egg mixture. whisk together eggs, milk and salt & pepper until smooth. Pour over mix-ins in the baking dish.
Bake for 45 – 55 minutes. You will want to make sure the eggs have set and tater tots are golden brown.
Allow the casserole to cool before slicing.
Garnish with chopped fresh chives.
Tater Tot BreakFAST CASSEROLE make ahead tips
- You can make this casserole ahead of time if you want. The night before would be perfect, but you could prep everything a few days in advance.
- If you’re going more than one day in advance, try mixing the egg mixture and storing it separately, so nothing gets soggy. When you’re ready to cook, just pour the eggs over and bake.
More dairy free egg recipes you will love
- Scrambled eggs without milk
- Cheddar chive waffles & eggs with strawberry candied bacon
- Sausage and scrambled egg sandwiches
- Asparagus quiche with bacon
Other great breakfasts you should tryPrint
- 1 roll loose breakfast sausage, cooked
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion (about 3)
- 1 2-pound bag tater tots
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free milk
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a large baking dish combine cooked sausage, ham, bell pepper, green onion and tater tots, stirring to mix ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt & pepper until smooth. Pour over mixture in dish.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until eggs have set and tater tots are golden brown.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 713.7 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.5 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 139.1 mg
Keywords: tater tot breakfast casserole, breakfast casserole, dairy free breakfast, tater tot breakfast casserole with sausage, tater tot egg bake, tater tot breakfast casserole sausage, tater tot casserole breakfast sausage, breakfast tater tot casserole
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.
Published: November 2, 2016. Updated: June 20, 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.