This flavorful, sweet potato lentil chili is full of vegetables and nutrients. It’s an easy, healthy meal and has just the right amount of sweetness! Best enjoyed in your favorite bowl on an autumn day.
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 packet chili seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed (about 5 cups of pre-soaked lentils)
- 4 loosely packed cups fresh spinach leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium. Add carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili seasoning and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, vegetable broth and tomatoes. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lentils and spinach.
- Replace cover and continue to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes, or until chili has reached desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.
*I used Old El Paso chili seasoning, but you can use any chili seasoning you prefer.
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, vegan, easy, sweet potato, lentil, spinach