Why I love this sweet potato chili
Okay guys. It’s officially October. That means it’s really time for all things fall. Apples, pumpkins, soup, chili, TV, babies. Lots of stuff to look forward to this month, and I’m on board for all of it.
Obviously, I’m most excited about Baby B’s arrival, but the return of my favorite TV shows is a pretty solid second. I am probably more excited than I should be, but I can’t help it.
Chili is the perfect meal for a cool, autumn day. What’s even better is that you can eat it from a bowl. I don’t know about you, but I find eating from bowls much more compatible to dining on the couch while devouring the latest episode of The Good Wife.
I realize that so many people will say eating in front of the TV is bad for your weight and your health, but give me a break, we’ve got to live a little sometimes.
Besides, this sweet potato lentil chili is full of vegetables and nutrients so you really don’t have to feel guilty at all. Enjoy!
We’ve also been super into sweet potatoes lately, and I’m loving this sweet potato pasta with tahini sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make lentil chili
Sauté the vegetables. In a large stockpot, add carrots, celery, onion, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté for about 7 – 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add chili seasoning. Cook for another 1 – 2 minutes.
Simmer the chili. Put the rest of the ingredients into the pot and cover the pot. Bring the chili to a simmer and let it cook for 30 – 35 minutes, until the sweet potatoes have softened and the lentils are fully cooked.
FAQS and tips for making vegan chili
This vegan chili is made from a combination of lentils and sweet potatoes. It’s a great mix of protein and carbs for a delicious vegan chili. If you don’t have lentils, you could also use your favorite beans, such as black or pinto beans.
This chili should stay good for about 1 week in the fridge, but always use your best judgment before eating any leftovers.
This recipe would be great with:
More chili recipes you’ll love:
- slow cooker white chicken chili
- buffalo chicken chili
- quick and easy beer chili
- Cincinnati chili
- white turkey chili
This flavorful, sweet potato lentil chili is full of vegetables and nutrients. It’s an easy, healthy meal and has just the right amount of sweetness! Best enjoyed in your favorite bowl on an autumn day.
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 packet chili seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed (about 5 cups of pre-soaked lentils)
- 4 loosely packed cups fresh spinach leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium. Add carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili seasoning and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, vegetable broth and tomatoes. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lentils and spinach.
- Replace cover and continue to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes, or until chili has reached desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.
*I used Old El Paso chili seasoning, but you can use any chili seasoning you prefer.
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, vegan, easy, sweet potato, lentil, spinach
Last Updated on October 28, 2020 by Melissa Belanger