Last Sunday, Theresa and I threw a Jamberry party at my apartment. I’m really obsessed with nail polish, so when I heard about Jamberry, I just had to see what they were all about. Luckily, Theresa new a consultant so we scheduled a party and invited a few friends over. Obviously, I wanted to make a million different things for our guests, but I decided to keep it simple and make 1 dessert and some simple snacks – spinach dip with veggies and pita chips and margarita potato chips. That’s all I made, and I’m glad I did because I had a ton of leftovers.
I had a bunch of strawberries that needed to be used up, so I pureed some of them and tried making something new – strawberry lemonade cupcakes. They’re light and summery with a nice lemony zip. Since I wanted to keep it simple, I decided to doctor up a cake mix for the cupcakes and top them with a buttercream-turned-fancy-frosting with a simple addition of some lemonade drink mix and strawberry puree.
This batter has a lot of eggs in it, which is good because it makes the cake extra delicate and fluffy, but you need to take extra care to not overload the cupcake liners. Otherwise, you’ll end up with dips in the centers of all your cupcakes. It’s an easy fix, since you can just fill them in with extra frosting, but better to avoid it all together if you can.
While the cupcakes are cooling, you can whip up the strawberry lemonade buttercream frosting. If you want to make them fancy like I did for the pictures, I used a piping bag and Wilton tip 2D, a lemon wedge garnish and striped paper straws cut to size. Or, you can keep things simple and just spread a decent layer of frosting on the top.Print
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 60 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen
- For the cake:
- 1 15.25-ounce strawberry cake mix*
- 3/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed)**
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil***
- 3 eggs
- For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons strawberry puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemonade drink mix (I used Kool Aid powder mix)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , stir mix together the dry cake mix, lemonade concentrate, water, vegetable oil and eggs at a medium speed for about 2 minutes – or until no visible lumps remain.
- In a muffin tin with cupcake liners, divided batter between cups.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes – or until cake is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat butter at a medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in strawberry puree, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemonade mix. Mix at medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, scraping sides when necessary until sugar is fully combined and has reach desired consistency.
- Once cupcakes have completely cooled, frost liberally with frosting.
I used: * Betty Crocker Super Moist ** Koolaid *** Canola oil
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg