This creamy potato corn chowder recipe is the best! It’s so easy to make and full of flavorful sweet corn and hearty potatoes with a hint of spice from fresh poblano peppers. It’s made with coconut milk, so it’s dairy free and vegan, plus you can easily make it gluten free with a simple swap.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, halved and sliced
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (or 1.5 pounds baby potatoes)
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1-pound package frozen corn kernels
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add the leeks, peppers, carrots and potatoes to the pot. Sauté until the leeks have softened and are slightly translucent.
- Add the broth and 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining coconut milk with the flour or cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add the flour or cornstarch mixture to the soup and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow the soup to simmer over medium-low heat until the potatoes have softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn and continue to cook until heated through.
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, vegan, gluten free option, corn, potato