This Southwestern chopped salad is full of flavorful vegetables and plant-based proteins and topped with a creamy, vegan avocado cilantro dressing.
I’m not sure if I’ve told you this, but I’m so weird about my salads. I’m super picky about my dressings, and I normally opt for them to be tossed in the salad prior to eating. I really dislike eating bottled dressing. There are a few that I don’t mind, but for the most part I stay away from them. So, I’ve resorted to making my own.
The dressing for the Southwestern chopped salad is super easy. Everything gets thrown in a blender or food processor and it’s done. No chopping or whisking needed, which is good, because a chopped salad can require a bit more prep than your average bowl of lettuce. Luckily, the only about half of these ingredients need to be chopped, and the other half just get rinsed and/or dumped into the bowl.
But, regardless of the extra effort, this salad is worth it. There are so many flavors in each and every bite. And, I mean, there’s the cilantro. That makes it for me. If you don’t care for cilantro, try swapping some basil for it. You may also have a bit of extra dressing leftover, depending on how much you use. Feel free to store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
For the dressing:
- 2 avocados
- 2 ounces fresh cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
For the salad:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- For the dressing: combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor . Process until smooth.
- For the salad: combine all prepared ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with desired amount of dressing just before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on