But for some reason, I’ve never bothered to make them myself. The thought has never crossed my mind. Even when we were traveling, and I couldn’t just go over to my mom’s for dinner, I never craved them enough to bother making them. Who knows – maybe you can have too much of a good thing.
So when I finally decided to make them myself, I figured I may as well put my own spin on them. I added black beans and spicy green chilies, and threw in on of my favorite spice blends – Arizona Dreaming from Penzey’s. Of course, I skipped the cheese, but we didn’t miss it because these southwest stuffed peppers are packed with lots of great flavor.
If you don’t have this spice blend, don’t worry. You can easily substitute any Southwestern spice blend or even taco seasoning. You’ll just want to omit the salt in the recipe because Arizona Dreaming is a salt-free spice blend. But, I really do recommend this seasoning because it has a hint of cocoa other spices that create a really great flavor profile.Print
- 6 bell peppers, tops and centers removed
- Cilantro (optional, for topping)
For the sauce:
- 2 14-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes with chilies
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Arizona Dreaming Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients and 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Pour the rest of the sauce mixture into a large baking dish.
- Stuff peppers with filling and set into the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour – removing the foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve with extra sauce
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on