These s’mores brownie cupcakes are a decadent summer treat with layers of crumbly graham cracker crust, fudge brownie and toasted marshmallows. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Is there anything more idyllic than s’mores in the summer? Think campfires and lightning bugs and just a little bit of mosquito repellant? I’m kidding about that last one. Since summer really wouldn’t be complete without a really good s’mores dessert, I just had to make one.
Especially since my three-year-old is obsessed with marshmallows. I find her sneaking them all the time, and I may or may not use them as good behavior incentives on a regular basis. So naturally, she ate all the marshmallows from the top of these before moving on to the brownie and graham cracker layers.
These s’mores brownie cupcakes are seriously intense. They’re everything you love about s’mores without the hassle of actually building a fire. I filled these extra tall foil cupcake liners with a layer of graham cracker crust (I used melted coconut oil to make it dairy free), and then I topped them with Pillsbury™ Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix from Kroger. Once the cupcakes were baked, I topped them with mini marshmallows and popped them in the oven just long enough to make them melty.
But, that’s not all my friends, I took it one step further and toasted my marshmallows with a kitchen torch. Yes. I went to the store and bought a kitchen torch just so I could toast these marshmallows. Someday, I’ll have to make crème brûlée to justify the purchase, but for now, I’m totally cool with using it just to toast marshmallows.
How do you make s’mores brownie cupcakes?
- Create a graham cracker crust. Buy graham cracker crumbs so you don’t have to make them yourself.
- Bake a brownie layer. Use Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix to make this dessert fun and easy. You can find it in the baking aisle.
- Toast the marshmallows. You can do this in the oven/broiler, or with a kitchen torch.
How long do you bake brownies in a muffin pan?
You’ll need to bake this dessert in three steps. First, the graham cracker crust bakes for 5 minutes. Then you bake your brownie mix. Then you bake/toast your marshmallows for a few minutes to get them nice and melty.
The brownies themselves will take about 20 – 22 minutes, depending on your oven. But, you’ll know your brownies are ready when an inserted toothpick comes out clean (or almost clean if you want your brownie layer extra gooey).
Tips for making the best s’mores brownie cupcakes
- Use extra-large (tall) cupcakes liners like these so you have plenty of room for all of your layers. I also really like the foil kind because they don’t stick to the marshmallows as much.
- Take your brownies out a little early if you want them to be gooey.
- Be careful when toasting the marshmallows. Kitchen torches can be dangerous, so it’s important that you take proper precautions. If you’re baking with kids, make sure you only the adults do this step.
You can also visit the Pillsbury brand page on Myxxrecipes.com for more recipe inspiration and ingredients you can find at Kroger.Print
For the graham cracker crust
- 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the brownie layer
- 1 18.4-ounce package Pillsbury™ Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 – 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a muffin tin with extra tall cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and coconut oil until a crumb has formed. Press mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin to form a thin crust. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners and bake for 20 – 22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Gently press down on brownie cupcakes. Top with mini marshmallows and bake for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Optional: Toast marshmallows to desired liking with a kitchen torch (or oven broiler). Let cool slightly before serving.
Like these s’mores brownie cupcakes? I think you might like these recipes too:
- dairy free pumpkin cookies
- rocky road cookies
- rocky road brownie cookies
- spooky eyed halloween brownies
Last Updated on December 29, 2020 by Melissa Belanger