The most amazing thing has happened. After years and years of my sister and friends asking for slow cooker recipes, I am finally on board. I have decided to learn to use mine, and it’s wonderful. To be fair, it’s not that I haven’t wanted to use it in the past, I just haven’t really had it with me when we were overseas, and I don’t seem to want to use it in the summer because even though you can use a slow cooker to make warm weather foods.
A slow cooker seems to be the perfect thing for hearty stews and soups and roasts. Luckily, it’s that time of year. In fact, it’s really cold out today. Good cold, but cold nevertheless. So last night, I made a batch of my favorite slow cooker white chicken chili. I already had a recipe for it on here, but I’ve updated it (no more dairy!) and made it slow cooker friendly.
You’re going to love it. It’s so easy, and the chicken literally shreds itself when you’re ready. Okay, you actually have to do the work, but it’s so easy I can’t even begin to describe it any other way.
And, you have to top it with crushed up tortilla chips and cilantro, because it’s delicious. And, do you really need an excuse to add chips to a recipe? No. You don’t. Obviously, if you want to go crazy you can easily add shredded cheese and sour cream or whatever else you like on top of your chili, but you cannot forget those tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or breasts)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 – 4 tablespoons diced jalapeno (fresh or canned)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 14.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- Crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Place chicken, onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno, spices and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients to combine and cook on high for 5 hours.
- With 1 hour left in cooking time, remove the chicken tenders and shred or chop the meat. Return it to the slow cooker, along with the beans and frozen corn.
- Allow the chili to cook for the remaining time.
- Top with chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg