This 5 ingredient pork and sauerkraut recipe is a simple weeknight dinner, but it’s also perfect for celebrating New Years Day. Learn how to make it – sliced or pulled – in the oven, slow cooker or Instant Pot. Serve it with mashed potatoes for a delicious, comforting meal.
- 1 packet brown gravy mix ((24g))
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 – 3 pound boneless pork loin (or boneless pork chops)
- 1 bag sauerkraut ((32-ounce))
- 1 apple (cored and sliced)
- 1 large sweet onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Coarse salt & black pepper (to taste)
- Liberally season the pork roast with salt & pepper.
- Mix the sauerkraut, water, gravy mix and caraway seeds (if using) in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Heat a large, oven-friendly skillet or Dutch oven to medium-high. Add the roast to the pan and sear both sides until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
To make it in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F. Add the sauerkraut mixture to the pan along with the apples and onions. Return pork roast to the pan and place on top.
- Cover the pan and put it in in the oven and bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, or until pork reaches 145˚F. Remove from oven.
To make it in the Instant Pot:
- Cut your meat into 3 pieces.
- If you prefer, you can sear your meat in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting. After searing cancel the sauté function and remove the meat from the pot.
- Add the sauerkraut mixture to the pot along with the apples and onions. Return pork roast to the pot and place on top.
- Close the lid and set to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the timer is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
To make it in the slow cooker:
- Add sauerkraut mixture, apples and onion to the slow cooker and place the seared pork roast on top.
- Cook on high for 4 – 6 hours, or until pork is tender and cooked through.
How to serve:
- Shred or slice the pork before serving along side mashed potatoes.