This post has been sponsored by TripAdvisor as part of their Travelers’ Choice Restaurant Influencer Program. As always, the recipe and all opinions are my own.
Why I love this massaman curry recipe
When Marc and I went to Thailand a few years ago, I was beyond excited about eating. My entire trip to-do list was basically a menu of everything I wanted to eat while we were there. Sure I wanted to see the sights, but the food was my number one priority. Luckily, Thailand did not disappoint.
I can’t remember if it was on my list of foods to try or if it was just a happy accident, but I fell in love – with Marc’s meal. It was so flavorful, not too spicy, and completely delicious.
Years later, I finally found the time to make it myself, and in the slow cooker no less. It couldn’t get any easier. It’s basically a curry flavored beef stew. You are seriously going to love it. The second time around, I tweaked the recipe to use 2 pounds of beef, so I could have leftovers, and I’m so glad I did.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make Massaman curry
FAQs and tips for making the best beef curry
What is Massaman curry taste like?
Is massaman curry sweet?
What kind of curry is Massaman?
What is the mildest Thai curry?
What do you eat with massaman curry?
More curry recipes you’ll love:Print
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound) peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Massaman curry paste
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except the flour and cilantro) in a large slow cooker. Stir to combine, and submerge the cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 5 – 6 hours.
- With about 30 minutes left in cooking time, whisk the flour with about 3 tablespoons of cold water to create a slurry. Stir the slurry into the slow cooker and allow the curry to cook for remaining time.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on December 18, 2020 by Melissa Belanger