Why I love this spinach artichoke chicken
Today’s recipe is something I’ve been meaning to share with you for a long time. It’s one of my favorite healthy and fast meals, and it includes one of my favorite ingredient combinations – spinach and artichokes. I mean, everyone loves spinach and artichokes together, right?
Unfortunately, they always seem to be paired with creamy and heavy ingredients like cream cheese or sour cream, but I’ve lightened it up, and taken out the dairy for a healthier version, inspired by my hot spinach artichoke dip.
I usually serve this recipe with some mashed potatoes or baked sweet potato. A simple tomato salad would be a great addition since we’ve already covered our greens, but it would really go great with just about anything you want.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Affiliate links will be noted as such, and I will never recommend a product that I don’t use or trust.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make spinach artichoke chicken
Prep the chicken. Preheat your oven to 400˚F and cut a pocket into each of the chicken breasts. Slice lengthwise down one side into the chicken and cut until you’ve almost reached the other side.
Stuff with filling. Stir the filling ingredients together in a mixing bowl until they’re evenly combined. Then, stuff about 3 – 4 tablespoons into each chicken breast – depending on how big they are.
If you need to secure with toothpicks to keep the chicken breast closed, do it, but I normally just handle mine with care and they stay together ok.
Sear the chicken. Heat your skillet to medium high heat and add some olive oil. Season the chicken with salt & pepper before adding it to the pan.
Then, sear the chicken until golden brown on each side.
Transfer to the oven. Once the chicken is seared, transfer the skillet to the oven – or into a baking dish if you’re not using an oven proof one – and bake for 20 minutes, or until the inside reaches 165˚F.
More chicken recipes:
- Chicken stuffed peppers
- BBQ chicken tacos with fresh pineapple salsa
- Roasted spatchcock chicken
- Buffalo chicken chili
More dinner recipes you’ll love:
Stuffed Spinach Artichoke Chicken
Stuffed with a creamy mix of healthy spinach and tangy artichoke hearts, this stuffed spinach artichoke is one of my favorite weeknight meals. They’re seared on the stove and finished in the oven for perfectly juicy chicken every time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chopped artichoke hearts (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup plain store-bought hummus
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the spinach, artichokes, garlic, hummus, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs and lemon juice until combined.
- Carefully cut into each chicken breast lengthwise down one side, being careful not to go all the way through.
- Stuff each chicken breast with 3 – 4 tablespoons of the spinach artichoke mixture and, if needed, secure with toothpicks.
- Liberally season the outside of the chicken with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large, cast iron skillet to high heat. Add olive oil and sear chicken until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to the oven and continue cooking until the chicken and filling reaches 165˚F, about 20 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
*Make sure to check your breadcrumbs for hidden dairy.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 1487.7 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 12.3 g
- Cholesterol: 26.5 mg
Keywords: dairy free, chicken, easy, healthy, spinach, artichoke, stuffed
Last Updated on October 14, 2021 by Melissa Belanger