This Italian sausage and peppers pasta recipe is one of my favorite pasta recipes! It’s simple and satisfying, with sautéed bell peppers, onions and flavorful Italian sausage. Customize it by using your favorite Italian sausage – spicy, mild or, my favorite, sweet. You could even swap turkey sausage if you’re looking for a healthy choice. Either way, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 5 links Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, in salted water.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high. Add sausage links and brown on all sides, until no longer pink. Transfer sausage to a cutting board or plate. Set aside.
- Add olive oil, peppers, and onion to the pan with a pinch of coarse salt. Cook the vegetables until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. While the sauce simmers, slice the sausage and return to the pan.
- When the pasta is cooked drain and toss with the sausage and peppers until evenly coated with sauce. If needed, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste.
Keywords: dairy free, Italian, comfort food, sausage, pork, pasta