This easy, vegetable beef barley soup recipe is made with simple ingredients and simmered on the stovetop for a hearty, healthy soup. It’s the perfect meal for a cozy, winter evening!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons beef base (or 2 bouillon cubes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (uncooked)
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium-high. Add stew meat and brown.
- Once beef has browned, add garlic water, beef base, bay leaf, and salt & pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, if needed.