How was your Memorial Day weekend? Ours was absolutely crazy! One of my best friends got engaged AND my baby niece was born! I would really like to follow that statement with a million exclamation points, but I don’t want to go overboard. Trust me when I say I’m excited. Plus, we went to visit friends in Illinois, which meant that Ellie took her first overnight trip since we’ve been stateside.
Luckily my niece waited until we were home from our trip before she decided to make her appearance. She’s the cutest little thing. I can’t wait for her to come home from the hospital so Ellie can meet her new cousin.
Anyway, we were definitely busy this weekend, and cooking was the furthest thing from our minds yesterday. So instead of a barbecue, we opted for a simple, slow cooked meal. But, since we were just sitting around waiting for news, I figured it would be a good time to update one of my old recipes.
I made these slow cooker memphis style pulled pork sandwiches a long, long time ago, when I apparently had no idea how to take pictures, and I didn’t care about writing healthy recipes. This time, I cut the coleslaw’s mayonnaise in half, added extra onions and peppers, plus, I skipped the root beer in the pulled pork. It was basically a total recipe makeover – making it much healthier and much, much tastier.
If you find yourself with leftovers, try making one of these awesome pulled pork recipes:
- BBQ pulled pork nachos
- BBQ pulled pork loaded baked potatoes
For the pulled pork:
- 1 lean boneless pork loin roast (about 3 pounds, with fat trimmed off)
- 1 cup water
- 1 18-ounce bottle hickory-style barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar Twin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Fore the coleslaw:
- 1 14-ounce bag prepared coleslaw mix (with carrots)
- 1/2 cup roughly diced onion
- 1/2 cup roughly diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon1 celery seed
For the sandwiches:
- 12 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Place the pork and water in a large, covered slow cooker. Cook on high-heat for 6 – 7 hours.
- While pork is cooking, prepared the coleslaw. In a large bowl, stir together coleslaw ingredients until combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once meat is tender, drain and shred the pork. Reutrn pork to slow cooker and add barbecue sauce, Tabasco, Splenda and salt & pepper. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve.
- To serve, fill each bun with pulled pork and top with coleslaw.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on