This easy, pepper steak stir fry recipe features thinly sliced beef, sweet peppers and water chestnuts in a flavorful ginger stir fry sauce. It cooks on the stovetop in minutes, making it a great weeknight meal option. Top with fresh green onions and serve with rice for a complete takeout-inspired meal.
The other day, there was a pack of sweet peppers that were in the fridge that were starting to wither away in the fridge because I couldn’t figure out what to do with them.
They were purchased with the intent of making pasta, but since I’m trying to cut back on my excessive carb intake, they just kept sitting there staring at me. I thought about making pickled peppers, but figured it might be nice to try something new.
And, I already had flank steak, so it was settled. I made pepper steak stir fry, and it was beautiful and flavorful and wonderful.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 12 – 15 sweet peppers (or 3 bell peppers), thinly sliced
- 2 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 – 3 green onions, thinly sliced (optional, for topping)
- In a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil to medium high.
- Add crushed red pepper, garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add sliced peppers and sauté, stirring occasionally until tender but not too soft – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove beef from marinade and set marinade aside for later.
- Sauté beef, stirring occasionally, until browned – about 5 minutes.
- Add marinade and water chestnuts and cook unit sauce has thickened – about 2 minutes. Return peppers to pan.
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to thicken for a few minutes before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, easy, takeout, beef
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Last Updated on May 17, 2020 by Melissa Belanger