Things have been so crazy around here lately. Between the playoffs, hockey season ending and Marc getting the flu – and now I’m sick too – it’s been a weird week and not much cooking has been happening.
A few weeks ago, I whipped up this penne arrabbiata recipe when I needed something quick to make. I was craving pasta and spice and – luckily – we had an extra bell pepper in the fridge. I’m not sure if the bell pepper is supposed to be in a traditional arrabbiata sauce, but I really like the extra flavor it adds.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet , heat olive oil to medium-high.
- Saute bell pepper, onion, garlic and crushed red pepper for 10 minutes or until peppers are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer sauce for about 10 minutes (or until pasta is cooked).
- Toss pasta with sauce and serve immediately.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg