Easy homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that are soft, fluffy and still chewy. Enjoy a cookie the way it was meant to be with this simple made from scratch recipe. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Why I love this these chocolate peanut butter cookies
These cookies are so good. They’re so good you might not even believe it. I’ve created a delicious, dairy free replacement for your favorite chocolate peanut butter candy, and if you don’t absolutely love them, I will eat my words.
I’ve taken a seemingly average – but still so amazing – peanut butter cookie and added allergy-friendly chocolate chips, and the result is nothing short of chocolatey, peanut-butter-y heaven.
I love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies so much, I might even say that I like them better than my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these chocolate peanut butter cookies
How to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
Mise en place. Preheat your oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper . Measure out all your ingredients before mixing anything.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl , to distribute the leaveners and sift the flour. Set aside.
Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat the vegan butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Combine it all together. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, about 1/2 cup at a time. Mix each addition until it has been incorporated before adding the next. Scrap the sides as needed. Once it’s all mixed, stir in the chocolate chips.
Bake the cookies. Scoop the cookies onto your prepared baking sheet and bake them for 10 – 11 minutes. If you want chewy cookies, you’ll want the cookies to be set on top, but definitely not firm.
Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
FAQ’s and tips for making vegan peanut butter cookies
If you used butter instead of shortening and the butter was soft when you went to use it, you may find that your cookies don’t turn out as fluffy or tall as they do with shortening. Using cold butter or shortening helps to keep your cookies from going flat during the baking process.
Swap the eggs out to make this recipe vegan. You’ll need to mix up 2 flax eggs, which would be 2 teaspoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water.
After you’re done baking cookies, you can keep them nice and soft by keeping your cooled cookies stored inside of an airtight container like a Ziploc bag.
More peanut butter recipes
- Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies
- Oven Baked Peanut Butter Jelly Wings
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
- Grilled Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce
Dairy free desserts worth trying
- Cookies and Cream Oreo Cupcakes
- Fried Cinnamon Apples
- Skillet Brownie Sundae
- Apple Pie Bars
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
These easy homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy. Made from scratch using shortening, these fluffy cookies are the ultimate simple recipe you’ll come back to over and over again for the best tasting results. #peanutbutterchocolatechip #dairyfree #cookierecipe
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup shortening or butter*
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to combine.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy – about two minutes.
- Add peanut butter and continue beating on medium until combined and fluffy – about a minute.
- Add the sugars.
- Beat the mixture on medium for a few more minutes.
- Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl on low speed – about a 1/2 cup at a time – scraping sides as needed until everything has been incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips to combine.
- Scoop the dough into balls – about 2 tablespoons worth
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes (cookies should be fully set but still soft). Adjust your baking time if necessary for your oven.
- Transfer baked cookies to a cooling rack a few minutes after removing from the oven.
To make these vegan peanut butter cookies, replace the eggs with 2 teaspoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons of water. Mix in a small bowl and allow the flax egg to thicken before adding to the recipe.
Keywords: dairy free, cookies, peanut butter, vegan option
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by Melissa Belanger