This easy pasta carbonara recipe is made with eggs and without cheese for a creamy sauce that’s flavorful and dairy free. It’s as close to authentic as you can get without dairy. Make it with spaghetti or your favorite pasta, and garnish with fresh chives before serving.
- 1 16-ounce package pasta
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions for al dente. Before straining, reserve 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the cooking water for the sauce.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan to medium-high, and bacon and sauté, until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, and turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, lemon juice and zest. Temper the eggs by whisking the reserved pasta water into them while still hot.
- Toss cooked pasta with the bacon, garlic and egg mixture, and stir to coat evenly in the liquid.
- Add additional pasta water, if needed. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Keywords: dairy free, egg, bacon