- 1 16-ounce package pasta
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions for al dente. Before straining, reserve 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the cooking water for the sauce.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan to medium-high, and bacon and sauté, until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, and turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, lemon juice and zest. Temper the eggs by whisking the reserved pasta water into them while still hot.
- Add the pasta and egg mixture to the pan with the bacon. Stir everything together and allow the eggs to coat the pasta. As it starts to heat, the sauce should start to thicken.
- Add additional pasta water, if needed. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 378.5 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.4 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 104.4 mg
Keywords: dairy free, egg, bacon, creamy carbonara recipe, creamy carbonara, carbonara sauce, spaghetti carbonara recipe, how to make carbonara sauce, easy carbonara recipe, carbonara recipe no cream, spaghetti carbonara recipe