This savory pancetta chestnut stuffing is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Plus, it’s dairy free and can be made ahead of time.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces chopped pancetta (or prosciutto)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 8 ounces prepared chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon each: dried thyme, sage, rosemary
- 3 tablespoons white wine (or 1 tablespoon vinegar/lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 12-ounce package unseasoned stuffing mix
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high. Add olive oil and pancetta, cooking until pancetta is crispy and brown, and the fat has fully rendered, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and celery to pan, and sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chestnuts, herbs and wine. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add vegan butter and continue to cook until melted.
- Place stuffing mix in a large mixing bowl . Transfer mixture from skillet and add chicken broth to bowl. Stir to evenly coat breadcrumbs.
- Stir in egg, working quick to prevent egg from cooking until fully combined. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until top has browned and center is fully set.
- Remove from heat and let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.