Lately, I’ve been feeling like I need at least 3 more hours in every day. I swear I just can’t keep up anymore, especially now that I have a very mobile baby crawling and climbing everywhere. I really thought I would have a few more months before she was all over the place, all the time, but I suppose my uninterrupted cooking/computer time just isn’t going to happen for a while now. It’s crazy how fast things change.
This recipe is just the right fit for our lives right now. I mean, I love, love, love fajitas, but every time I made them in the past, I felt like I was running all over the kitchen trying to keep things from burning and dirtying a million dishes in the process, but not anymore. Not with this recipe. It’s seriously simple and very, very healthy if you choose the right toppings/tortillas. And, by baking everything all in one pan, you get delicious, juicy chicken and perfectly cooked vegetables without even being in the kitchen. (Ok, you should probably be near the kitchen, just in case, but you can be doing something other than cooking.)
I made baked fajitas a few times before, but I always thought the recipe was just, I don’t know, blah I guess. But, I loved the idea of them. So I was determined to come up with something with a little more pizzazz this time. I wanted flavor and spice, and by adding chipotle peppers, diced green chilies and a little garlic, that’s exactly what I got.
When I say these are healthy, I mean the chicken and vegetables alone. The toppings are all up to you. I’m a big believer in letting people top their fajitas with whatever they want, but since I started doing Weight Watchers, I’ve been a little more cautious with what gets onto the table.
Now, we’ve been reaching for reduced-fat (or fat-free) cheese, low-carb tortillas, guacamole instead of sour cream, and – of course – cilantro. Oh, and a little bit of lime juice. But, seriously, you don’t even need the toppings. The flavor in these chipotle chicken fajitas is so intense. You will just have to try them to see for yourself. (And thank me after you’ve cleaned up because it’ll be so easy.)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven 425˚F (220˚C).
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Add the chicken tenders. Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, granulated garlic and salt. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Top with bell peppers and onions.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, adobo sauce, chipotle peppers, green chilies, garlic and salt. Pour mixture evenly into baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and baking for 30 minutes – removing the foil halfway through cooking.
- Slice chicken before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on