These olive oil brownies are dense and chocolatey with crisp edges, sweet chocolate chips and a crackly top.
Everything a dairy free brownie should be. You’ll only need a whisk and a bowl to make them too – no mixer required.
A few weeks ago, I asked one of my dairy free recipe groups on Facebook what sort of recipe they’d like to see. One of the first comments was brownies, and I was surprised I hadn’t thought of it before.
Who doesn’t love a good brownie? And, I knew that before long, I’d be making batches and batches of brownies because I knew that brownies would be an easy recipe to convert to dairy free.
In fact, I know that there are at least two major brands of brownie mix that don’t contain any milk products. So I figured it would be a breeze to replicate with real food ingredients. Unfortunately, it ended up being harder that I thought to find a good base recipe to convert.
So many recipes out there only make a 8×8 square pan of brownies. And, if you’re anything like me, that’s no good. If I’m going to spend time making brownies, I want a decent sized batch. A 9×13 pan of olive oil brownies was a must for me.
How to make olive oil brownies:
I found this recipe for old fashioned brownies on Pinterest, and I thought it would be a great starting point for my dairy free brownies. It used melted butter, which is easily substituted with oil, and cocoa powder rather than melted chocolate or anything too complicated for me.
The only other change I made was to double the vanilla extract. It’s a trick I learned after my niece accidentally used tablespoons instead of teaspoons in her chocolate chip cookies, and they turned out amazing.
And, these brownies were no different. They turned out better than any brownie I’ve ever had in my whole life. Try them for yourself and let me know what you think.
Tips for making dairy free, olive oil brownies:
- Use any olive oil you have on hand. I used extra virgin, but a lighter olive oil would work, too.
- Take them out of the oven before you think you should. If you’re toothpick comes out with a tiny bit of batter on it, that’s okay. They’ll be nice and fudge-link.
- Use the best dairy free chocolate chips you can find. I found a local brand that makes dairy free ones, but Enjoy Life makes allergy friendly chocolate chunks that would work great.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper. Just fold the corners. It doesn’t have to be perfect because the batter will fill it out.
This easy, dairy free brownies recipe is made from scratch using healthy olive oil. They’re simple to make and extra fudgy with vegan chocolate chips.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk 1/3 cup olive oil and boiling water into cocoa powder mixture until smooth.
- Add sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and remaining 1/3 cup olive oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in flour until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into pan and top with extra chocolate chips (if desired). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on