This Black Eyed Pea Soup is a delicious and simple recipe that is perfect for New Years. This easy recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and packed full of flavor. #dairyfree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1/2 tablespoon minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 12-ounce packages frozen black eyed peas
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium-high, and add onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Sauté until the onions are slightly translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add the ham, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes. Stir as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add black eyed peas along with the remaining ingredients. Cover and bring liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until black eyed peas are soft and broth is creamy.
- Stir in spinach, and continue to simmer until wilted.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary and remove bay leaves before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, healthy, easy, new years