How was your weekend? Ours was great. It was the first weekend in a long time that Marc had two days off with no games or practice. I spent Friday night with the girls having drinks at a friend’s place and then dinner out. We spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with friends, relaxing and watching movies.
Last week, we had this delicious and hearty minestrone soup. It doesn’t take too long to make and it’s full of healthy stuff like vegetables and beans – but the best part is the pasta. Pasta and soup is a great combination – two of my favorite things. I used mini pipe rigate, but you could use diatlini or oricchette or any other small pasta. Top it off with some grated parmesan cheese and you have a healthy, flavorful meal that’s perfect to warm you up for the rest of the winter.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 small zucchini, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups small pasta
- 6 packed cups fresh spinach leaves
- Grated parmesan or pecorino romano, for serving (optional)
- In a large stockpot, saute the onions, carrots, and celery over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and garlic – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, spices, broth and water.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook until tender – about 8 minutes (depending on pasta choice).
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Serve immediately with grated cheese.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg