What I love about lime matcha cookies
If you’re looking for something a little different to bake this holiday season, these matcha cookies are it. They’re naturally green and their unique flavor and super soft texture is sure to impress your guests.
These cookies are a riff on my soft sugar cookies, but I’ve added a white chocolate drizzle because the flavor pairs so well with matcha. I did the same for my matcha pistachio cake so I knew it would be a hit.
Thankfully, dairy free white chocolate chips are a thing, and they’re pretty easy to come by. We got the Great Value brand at Walmart, but there are a few other brands available.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.
The Sweetest Season + Cookies for Kids Cancer
Today’s cookies are part of The Sweetest Season (a virtual cookie exchange) that’s hosted by a few blogging friends, and it’s a fun way to get excited about the holiday season and do some good.
The Sweetest Season has been supporting Cookies for Kids’ Cancer for the last few years, and I’m so honored to be part of such a great holiday tradition.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them
How to make lime matcha cookies
Whisk the dry ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and matcha together until everything is evenly distributed. Be sure to accurately measure your flour using the scoop and level method, or weigh it to ensure you have the correct amount.
Beat the wet ingredients. With an electric mixer, cream the vegan butter, sugar and lime zest until they’re light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat to combine.
Roll the cookies. Put 3/4 cup of sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop the cookie dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls and gently roll them in the sugar. Place them on your prepared baking sheets.
You should get 2 dozen cookie dough balls from this recipe, but you’ll want to bake them 12 cookies at a time.
Bake your cookies. Pop the cookies into the oven and let them baked for 10 – 12 minutes. The cookies should spread and be set on the top. Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with the second dozen.
Make your drizzle. Melt the white chocolate chips and coconut oil by placing them in a heat proof bowl or a double boiler and place it over a large saucepan with about 1 inch of water of boiling water. Stir the chocolate until it’s almost melted, then remove from heat and continue until it’s completely melted.
Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate onto your cookies. They should be completely cooled before you do this. If you want to add sprinkles or sanding sugar, do it while the drizzle is still warm so they have something to stick to.
If you want, you can garnish with additional lime zest for added flavor and color.
FAQs and tips for making matcha cookies
It will add a subtle earthy flavor and will also add a beautiful, naturally-green color to your baked goods. It shouldn’t affect the way you baking ingredients interact, but every recipe is different, always take that into consideration when altering recipes.
Matcha turns brown when it reaches too high of a temperature. Making sure you keep the oven at a lower temperature will prevent browning. These cookies are baked at a standard 350˚F (180˚C).
Yes! Matcha tea powder contains 35mg of caffeine per ½ teaspoon. For this recipe, I estimate there is bout 17.5mg of caffeine per cookie.
More delicious dairy free cookie recipes
- White chocolate peppermint cookies
- No chill sugar cookies
- Peanut butter cornflake cookies
- Vegan oatmeal cookies
Other perfect holiday cookies you should makePrint
Lime Matcha Cookies
The earthy flavor of these matcha cookies is balanced with vibrant lime zest and topped with a drizzle of white chocolate for a stunning, yet subtle cookie. Add sprinkles to customize them for the holidays.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon matcha powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
12 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup sugar
2 lime, zested (1 tablespoon juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Extra sugar, for rolling
1 cup dairy free white chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, matcha, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until evenly distributed.
- With an electric mixer, cream the vegan butter, sugar and lime zest until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add lime juice, egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, mixing between each addition, until everything is incorporated.
- Place rolling sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop and roll dough into 2-tablespoon balls and roll in the sugar until coated.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies have spread and the tops are set.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Allow cookies to cool completely before adding the white chocolate drizzle.
- In a double boiler with 1-inch of water, heat the white chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat and use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate onto the cookies. Garnish as desired while still warm.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 12.6 g
- Sodium: 102.4 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 12.4 mg
Keywords: matcha cookies, matcha white chocolate chip cookies, matcha white chocolate cookies
Last Updated on December 8, 2021 by Melissa Belanger