Lemon Butter Cookies | This easy, lemon butter cookies recipe makes the best, melt in your mouth cookies. They’re a dairy free version of an old fashioned buttery, shortbread cookie. They’re perfect for the holidays or any time of year. Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a simple alternative to icing. #dairyfree #christmascookies
- 1 cup vegan butter or vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gradually mix in the flour until incorporated.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using the tines of a fork, cross marks in the cookies to slightly flatten them (as pictured).
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until cookies are set on top and slightly golden on bottom.
- Transfer to cooling rack and immediately dust with powdered sugar (sugar will melt into cookies from the remaining heat).
- Once completely cool, dust cookies again with powdered sugar.
*Optional: Add 1 teaspoon lemon extract for a little extra lemon flavor.
Keywords: dairy free, easy, cookies, christmas, lemon, holiday, shortbread