This kale and Brussels sprouts salad with honey dijon vinaigrette is a simple side dish that’s perfect for the holidays. Makes 8 servings.
Are you planning a menu for Christmas yet? I’m usually fairly prepared, but I just figured ours out this morning. We’re going to be hanging out at home and feasting on appetizers for Christmas Eve, but on Christmas Day, we’ll be going to my parents’ house for a more formal dinner. I know my mom is already planning a fancy entree, but I’ll be bringing this kale and Brussels sprouts salad and Marc’s favorite tourtiere.
I made this last week to use up some Brussels sprouts that I had originally intended to roast, but I just wasn’t in the mood to prepare them that way. So, before they went bad, I chopped them and some kale up for simple salad using what I had on hand – almonds, cranberries, and green onion. I added the crispy prosciutto for some extra umami, and made a quick honey Dijon vinaigrette.
This salad can easily be made the morning you plan to serve it, so you can easily get it out of the way ahead of time. I even thought the leftover salad was still fresh a few days later, but the almonds did lose a bit of their crunch, so you may want to wait to add them until just before you serve the salad.
What are your favorite Christmas side dishes? I think this Brussels sprouts salad would be really great served along side a roasted turkey breast and some tarragon glazed carrots. And, if you’re looking for a cocktail to serve, why not try some traditional mulled wine?
- 4 ounces prosciutto pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat a skillet to medium-high. Cook prosciutto pieces, stirring occasionally, until crispy and fat has cooked down. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey and salt & pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add Brussels sprouts, kale, cranberries, almonds and prosciutto. Toss to coat salad with dressing.
- Allow salad to stand for about 10 – 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on December 10, 2020 by Melissa Belanger