This 6 ingredient kale mango salad is made by massaging the kale to make it tender and flavorful before adding tangy mango and cilantro.
Are you on board with this whole kale, superfood trend? I know it’s been a thing for a while now, but I haven’t been that interested until now. I’ve used kale in hot, savory recipes, but never in a salad. Until now – now I’m obsessed. I had this particular salad at my friend, Sarah’s, bridal shower, and it was fantastic. I knew I needed to make it myself as soon as possible.
Apparently, massaging kale with olive oil is the way to go when you wan to use it in a salad. It breaks down the tough leaves and makes them soft and flavorful. You can literally see it changing as you massage it. The color gets darker and the leaves get softer and take up less space. It makes the perfect base for any salad. Trust me, I’ve tried three different recipes in the past month.
I topped this salad with mangos and pepitas, like the original recipes called for, but I added a little cilantro to give the salad a fresh pop to balance the sweetness of the mango.
The best part of this whole kale salad thing? They don’t wilt (because they’re already wilted), which means that they hold up for several days in the fridge. They’re perfect if you want to make salads for lunch during the week, but don’t want to make a fresh one each day. Plus, kale is super filling and loaded with healthy stuff like calcium and fiber.Print
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 – 2 mangos (depending on size), chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted & salted pepitas
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Massage the kale until it begins to wilt and a darker color develops.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining lemon juice, salt, olive oil, honey and pepper. Dress the salad and top with mango, pepitas and cilantro.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on