There isn’t much better than blueberry crumb muffins. They’re classic. Fresh blueberries, perfect crumb topping with a hint of cinnamon. You don’t want that in regular size. You want it jumbo – the way you get it at a bakery or diner – and I created the perfect recipe for just that.
They are so many mentions of blueberry muffins in Gilmore girls, that I couldn’t choose one episode to credit this recipe to, but that’s ok. They’re totally worth having more than once.
For this recipe, I scoured the internet to find a muffin base that didn’t include yogurt because there just aren’t very many good dairy free substitutes for it. I know there’s vegan sour cream and all sorts of alt-yogurt, but I don’t love the way they work in certain recipes.
These muffins aren’t completely dairy free, but you could easily make them dairy free. I used lactose-free milk instead of almond milk because we just didn’t have anything else. If you do choose to swap it out, be sure to use unsweetened regular almond milk or omit the vanilla extract if you use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
These muffins are perfectly crumbly and the color of the blueberries are pop against the lightness of the batter. Just look at that beautiful purple.Print
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup blueberries
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening, cold
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a jumbo muffin pan with large muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and milk until smooth. Stir in blueberries.
- Evenly distribute batter to muffin liners.
- In a third bowl, combine crumb topping ingredients. Cut cold shortening in with a pastry cutter or fork until small crumbs are formed. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Increase to 400˚F for and additional 10 – 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to rest for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg